Thursday, September 20, 2012

Beautiful America


I had the honor of playing traditional American songs at the International Rescue Committee (IRC) today where they teach refugees English. We were celebrating new American citizens. I enjoyed meeting some of our new citizens and learning about all of the work and tests they had to take to get their citizenship.  It is something we Americans don't think much about but to see their eyes light up and their faces full of pride for their accomplishment was such a good feeling. Growing up in Chicago, I have memories of being in class with kids from all over the world. Back then they didn't have ESL programs and things are very different now.

After the mayor spoke today, I led our songs, "America the Beautiful" and "My Country Tis of Thee." Then people went to have cake and chat, so I got out my mountain dulcimer and played in the background. I got a lot of people ask me about this American instrument (one of few truly American instruments)  Here is a link about the Galax dulcimer written by my teacher and master player Phyllis Gaskins.

Pictured above one of the volunteers at the IRC who was kind enough to let me take her picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment