Monday, January 14, 2013

Daydream Believer


Today I sang with a new group of people who are closer in age to me than most groups I sing with. This gave me the opportunity to sing some of my favorite songs from my youth. I was struck by how many songs had a positive message--it was the "Age of Aquarius" and so much was changing then in America.  We sang  Beatles, "Hey Jude", "Here Comes the Sun", "With a Little Help from my Friends" ; TV themes like "Addams Family", "Flintstones", "Gilligan's Island" and songs like, "Stand by Me", "Lean on Me" and I was surprised when we sang, "Daydream Believer" that i got the goosebumps. It is not the kind of song I normally get the goosebumps from but it was a special feeling for me to share the songs I loved as a child.

As a child, these songs helped me through some of my first dark times. My parents' divorce, the move from the city of Chicago (and only home I knew my first 11 years) to the suburbs--where I quickly became an outcast for being academically ill prepared & different. We've all had songs that came into our lives at the right times that lifted us up and helped us through whatever we faced.

What are some of your songs that did this for you?

sing it with me:

..."Oh, I could hide 'neath the wings of the bluebird as she sings
The six o'clock alarm would never ring
But it rings and I rise wipe the sleep out of my eyes
The shavin' razor's cold, and it stings

Cheer up, sleepy Jean, oh what can it mean
To a daydream believer and a homecoming queen?" - Daydream Believer

No comments:

Post a Comment