Thursday, June 27, 2013

A funny night


Last night was a funny night.   Everyone was lined up in their wheelchairs in the hallway at the nursing home when I went to play. I usually serenade them and sing songs they request.  I never quite know what moods I will find them in or what music will be inspired to come out but that is all part of the challenge I like.

When I arrived at the home, Doris wheeled her chair up to me and started laughing.  I laughed along with her, even though I didn't know what we were laughing about. Of course, this got others laughing too but others got mad. "Go and put that chair away right now!" one of them scolded me. "We have to hurry now, he's leaving!" another said as if I were supposed to be going somewhere with her.  Doris just rolled her eyes and made a funny face and laughed again. I said, "you always make me laugh!" and she seemed to like that. She is the clown in the bunch for sure.

Finally we settled into singing some  songs, "Battle Hymn of the Republic", "This Little Light of Mine", "Que Sera, Sera", "Hey Good Lookin'" when suddenly one of the staff members started dancing up and down the hallway. It so stunned the residents, this seemed to encourage her to be even more rowdy. Then she started singing some kind of bluesy rock song and dancing and mimicking playing the guitar. Next she looked at me with a smile and pointed to my guitar, indicating for me to play. So, I started playing some bluesy chords and she sang and danced again. It was kind of crazy and totally unexpected from her and it made us laugh, although though some of the residents didn't quite know what to make of this.

A chaotic but fun evening and as always unpredictable. Something that makes this work fun for me.

2 comments:

  1. Love the dancing Oliver and Hardy!! How did you do that??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Evelyn,

    I found the image on the internet, it is already animated. You can "steal" the image by highlighting it with your mouse and dragging it over to your computer desktop. Or right mouse click and when the menu comes up, select "save image". I get images off the internet, as long as they are public domain, so I won't infringe on copyright laws. I can't really take pictures of the people I work with due to privacy issues. So this is what I do instead.
    hope you are doing well

    Thanks for reading!
    Blue

    ReplyDelete