Thursday, November 28, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving!


I wanted to take a moment and wish all of my friends in blogsville a very Happy Thanksgiving! Thank you for your support and for reading my stories.  I am so grateful to be doing work I love each day and for all of the wonderful people I meet and who brighten my way.

This is a favorite time of year for me because I love holiday music and parties. It is a time to sing Christmas carols and to bring holiday cheer. Pictured above is my favorite Christmas guitar book. It has instrumental arrangements of holiday songs where I will play this year in ICU units at the hospital. I love practicing them and that is what I am doing today until I go to a neighbors' house for our Thanksgiving gathering.

Also I like to find unusual arrangements of old favorite Christmas songs. Pictured above is something called, "Take Three" and it is a jazzy version of "We Three Kings". Those of you know are familiar with Dave Brubek's song, "Take Five" would like this arrangement. It is a combination of "Take Five" and "We Three Kings". I could explain further but it would only be music theory geek speak.

Here is something for you to try that is great fun. You take one Christmas melody and you sing the words to a different tune. For example: try singing "Silent Night" to the tune of "Santa Claus is Coming to Town". Or "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer " to the tune of "O Holy Night". The idea is to sing the happy songs to the tune of the mellow ones, etc. The result is a crazy mixed up Christmas Carol!

Back to Thanksgiving.... happy Turkey day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment