Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Old McLoopy Had a Song



The past few weeks I had a lot of fun teaching a new class at Cville Therapeutic Recreation called, "Sound Journey Meditation." The class comprised of two different ways to be with music. In the beginning I led the class through a deep  music listening meditation. I improvised on my Native American flute and guitar while everyone listened quietly. We all felt more calm and relaxed after that  and then began the next part of the class which was to energize. We did lots of fun things for this!

Last week for instance, I did some looped recordings of us singing a few songs.  We did a funny arrangement of Old McDonald. Before we sang it,  I asked everyone to name their favorite animal. Then I got out my iPad looping recording app (Everyday Looper) and had us record the line, "Old McDonald had a farm" over and over. While this looped, I had us all record on the next track the sounds of our favorite animals all at once. You could hear, "with a roar roar here," "meow meow", "neigh neigh, " "ruff ruff, " and you get the idea. While those two phrases looped, we sang, "eieio, eieio, eieio" over and over. The result was hilarious!

Another time we improvised a happy song. That is, I showed the class what kind of chords on guitar and rhythms would best create a happy mood. Next we selected from index cards one word we could use to express this feeling (it was either, "ah," "ooh," "oo, " etc) Then I hit the recorder button and we sang and improvised for a few minutes. Afterwards, I played our creation back for us to see if we did make a song that made us happy to listen to. Yes indeed! :)

We also played our percussion instruments and played follow the leader, call and response and other games. It was a lot of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment