Friday, July 2, 2021

Back to work!

 


Hello everyone! Happy Summer to all of you. I am happy that we here in the U.S. are able to have a sense of normalcy returning after our year of Covid isolation. I was thrilled that yesterday I was able to return to my job as Musician-in-Residence at U.VA hospital yesterday for the first time in 15 months! It was just wonderful to be back! 

Playing therapeutic music has been the most fulfilling work I've ever done. Yesterday, I loved walking those halls and riding the elevators and visiting the ICU units, playing for patients. 

I was not sure what to expect since I know Covid was especially difficult on staff at the hospital. I was not sure if some of the same staff would still be there and how I would be received after an absence of nearly 1.5 years. 

To me surprise and happiness, I saw many of the same faces and they greeted me as if I had never been gone!  I was filled with admiration for the staff who braved such frightening times and were all still there. 

Playing for patients is always very meaningful for me. Especially more so since I know I can never take this work for granted again! 

Some things have changed. We have to wear surgical masks and goggles. We have a new locker. Otherwise... life goes on! 

I hope you are all doing well and getting your vaccinations to ensure we can all continue to move forward from this trying time of Covid. 

Happy 4th of July to all my American friends!  

No comments:

Post a Comment