Thursday, January 16, 2014

Like a dozen red roses, I sing

Sometimes I think that singing for people is the equivalent of bringing them some flowers. It always seems to surprise them as if I sing for them the first time.  It has been feeling this way lately at one of the nursing homes I play at each Wednesday evening. There are a few new residents who have blended in so well and now there is a nice group that gathers each Wed. to sing with me. They are in the hallways at this time waiting to be given their nightly medicine and put to bed.  It is such a good feeling for me when I walk in and I see them start to push themselves in their wheelchairs to come meet me.

Each week there is news to share of visits from daughters from out of state, stories of sweaters shrinking in the dryer, lost items, visits from their dogs in pet therapy, craft projects they worked on. These stories and more get shared in between singing.

I usually don't go into their rooms but on two occasions I was invited to do so last night. There was Ms. Lucille who could not get her TV remote to work and she asked me to come look at it. (I don't have a TV, so I could not help her)  Then when I got in her room, she ended up asking me to play for her roommate, Ms. Jensen. I sang her a few songs as she smiled and drifted to sleep.

Then on my way down the hall,  another woman who cares for her ailing husband came to ask me if I would come in his room to sing for him. When I did go to his bedside, I saw he appeared to be completely paralyzed and unable to respond or speak. His wife confirmed this as she stroked his arm  and kissed his cheek. She looked at him with such a loving expression and said, "He can feel pain! This is a good thing because I know his mind is waking up and he is improving!" She seemed so happy to be by his side. She asked me to sing anything, "It does not need to be religious" . (their room was full of Catholic symbols and it is a Catholic nursing home) I sang, "Let Me Call You Sweetheart" as she held his hand and smiled. Then I sang, "You Are my Sunshine" and other songs. She was so appreciative.

what a night it was!

No comments:

Post a Comment