Saturday, January 4, 2014

What's on my music stand No 332

It's time for another episode of "what's on my music stand." I always have a lot of diverse projects going on and that is something I love about my work. What you see above shows you:

  • A score from my new online music class "Write Like Mozart: An Introduction to Classical Composition." In the score, I am charting out a chorale piece in 4 part harmony. This is something I have never done before! I am having fun with some of the musical terms I am encountering too (ok I am a nerd) things like: "Heterophony," "Homorhythmic homophony" "parrallel fifths", "leading tones" and voice leading.  These terms tell things about the textures of the music and writing style of the classical period.  As it has been many years since I took a formal music theory class, I am delighted that I can still understand this stuff! It is true that music notation is like learning a foreign language.
  • You will also see my "Songs & Prayers of Taize" book as I accompany the monthly Taize Service held at the Charlottesville Mennonite Church (701 Monticello Ave, 8pm Wed. Jan 8th, 2014).  The hour-long service follows the format of evening prayer used in the ecumenical community of TaizĂ© in France. It is mostly a service of sung prayer with additional periods of silence, scripture reading and intercession. Here is one of my favorite Taize songs called, "Frieden, Frieden"   I recorded our service live and that's me on the guitar. The words translate to:

    Peace I leave you, peace I give
    let your hearts be free from fear
    My peace I give to you

  • There is my new book I am reading about the Carter Family called, "Don't Forget this Song " which is a graphic novel about their story and songs they wrote. It starts circa 1920s in rural Southwest Virginia. It is a fascinating saga of the "hillbilly singers" and how A.P. Carter also traveled around collecting songs. In one chapter it talks about their recording sessions when the first microphone was invented. Really interesting and fun to read!
  • Behind that book is a stack of music of my wedding repertoire I am polishing up in preparation for the ceremonial season coming up this spring. I focus on folk and Appalachian songs (instrumental guitar) to enhance outdoor weddings held in our lovely Blue Ridge Mountain region.
  • I'm also working on a lesson plan for one of my guitar students at the Music Resource Center in town.
  • Th-th-tha-that's all folks!  Having lots of fun with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment