Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Of Marigolds, red roosters and songs

Virginia gets my vote for the prettiest spring of any place.  Last weekend I went with neighbors to a local nursery and got these lovely marigolds for the yard. Just looking at them makes me happy. I think of songs this way too. They ask nothing in return, they are there to enjoy and bring people happiness and beauty.

Yesterday I visited a nursing home where I am a strolling minstrel. I find people on the porch and sing with them.  I find people in the TV room and we sing there. We also sing in the hallway or outside on the patio. I've been going to this nursing home now for about 5 years, so I know some of the residents fairly well.  I was greeted with a pleasant surprise to find Margie out on the patio without her wheelchair! I learned she's been walking without it now for a couple of weeks. In all the years I have known her, I never thought I'd see her walk again.  And later when she stood to hug me goodbye,  she was taller than me! That was the happy part of the visit.

A few of us were singing outside on the patio and  when suddenly the rescue squad pulled up in front. "I hope it's not Mrs. Roberts again," said Caroline.  In fact, it was her.  Earlier when I met her in the hallway, I asked how she was doing and she said she was in a lot of pain. I said I'd sing her some songs to help her feel better and she sang along with me, "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot," and in the middle of "He's Got the Whole World In His Hands," the resident manager called her name and asked her to come see the doctor. I walked next to her, still singing until we met up with the doctor. Then went outside and later the rescue squad came and took her in the ambulance. "She has lung cancer," Margie said and I was glad I got to sing with her earlier. It goes that way sometimes at the nursing homes. The residents are used to seeing people being taken away and sometimes they never come back. I do think Mrs. Roberts will be back though and I'm glad I gave her a song to sing before she left.

 I feel like singing songs is like bringing people sunshine, warmth, hope, happiness. I got a laugh when after singing, "She'll Be Coming Round the Mountain," Caroline said, "the rooster part comes before the chicken." We all laughed at that. I rarely get away with singing a wrong lyric or mixing up the verses, there is usually someone who will correct me. I am glad they care that much to do so.


No comments:

Post a Comment