Wednesday, July 2, 2014

When there are no words

Yesterday I sang with a lively group of seniors over at JABA. I was surprised to see that sitting in the front row was a man I used to sing with at another place where I do not go anymore. The facility let me go in favor of having new musical performers come. Some places prefer to have the same people coming to give their residents a sense of stability. Others want to change it around. At any rate, the man I saw yesterday was one of my favorite participants and I was happy to see him. I went and asked him if he remembered me and he nodded yes.

Once we all started singing, he did not miss one verse or lyric. While other people only remember the first verse and chorus, this man knows each verse and sings with such intensity. I can see from his expression that music is deeply important to him. We sang some patriotic songs for the 4th of July, "Battle Hymn of the Republic," "God Bless America," "Grand Old Flag,". We sang old favorites, "You Are My Sunshine,""Oh Susanna,", Que Sera Sera." Just about everybody clapped and laughed after each song. We were having such a wonderful time.

Then I saw the quiet man in the front row begin to raise his hands up and with great effort and concentration, he placed them together to form a heart. (like in the photo above).  Oddly enough, I'd never seen anyone make a heart in this way. I asked him, "is that a heart?" and he nodded with a serious expression.

Later once we were done singing, I went to talk with him but I could see that words did not come easily for him.  So I reached out my hand to him instead while I said good bye. There was a moment of awkward silence and just when I thought he would not take it, he grabbed my hand and held it tightly.    I stood by him holding his hand for a long moment and told him I enjoyed singing with him and I would see him again soon. It seemed he did not want to let go of my hand. I too felt a strong connection was made with him. No words needed, just the bond of music-the universal language.


No comments:

Post a Comment