Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Guitar Woman


Do you remember that old song by the 70's band Bread called, "Guitar Man?" It was a favorite song that describes a traveling guitar man who is always drifting to find another place to play.  Here are some of the words:

Then you listen to the music
And you like to sing along
You want to get the meaning
Out of each and ev'ry song
Then you find yourself a message
And some words to call your own
And take them home


This week found me playing my guitar in many different places and settings.

At my gym I played in the lobby so that those weary from workouts and errands could take a breath and sit and listen.  At the nursing homes for those with dementia, I played my "sundowning serenade" to help calm them as they got ready for bed. Today at a clubhouse in town, I played some instrumental tunes while others sat around a table making crafts and writing poems.

I watched to see their eyes light up with recognition when hearing the first notes of, "Here Comes the Sun" by the Beatles. For those needing something energetic, I like to play "Classical Gas."  There is a tune for all moods and I like to provide all different shades of color and feelings.  I like to sing too but playing guitar where my instrument is the singer is just as satisfying.

Pictured above is my beloved classical guitar made in 1984 by Richard Brune in Evanston, IL.  My cat Jasper could not resist getting into the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment