Sunday, August 23, 2015

Picnics, gatherings and summers' ending...

Late summer and early fall is one of my favorite times of the year.  One reason is two of my favorite gigs of the year happen in late August. The first is the Charlottesville Therapeutic Parks & Recreation picnic. Each year all of the staff and many participants in our programs come together for a few hours and make music, art, play games and have a picnic.  I love singing with this group because though the picture has me alone--you can't see that to my left is Barbara on the piano and Chris singing and playing next to me (and Wayne taking my picture.) It's a time when I get to sing harmonies and bring up people to our little stage and back them up.  It's a time when I get to see some of my favorite people that work for parks & recreation. I don't see them often because throughout the year, we are involved in different programs all over the city and county.  Also there are new families and people to meet at the lunch table. I like hearing stories from parents who say things like, "Parks & Rec has made a world of difference for my child!"

Then later that same day, I got to do my other favorite gig which is an annual Women's Gathering in a rustic community 30 miles from here. I lead a scared songs and chants circle and it was so enjoyable joining with women and girls singing our favorite goddess, Native American and sacred chants and songs. The favorite that was chosen to sing at the open mic later was this one:

"We are the rising sun
We are the change
We are the ones we've been waiting for
And we are dawning."

I love all kinds of music and opportunities to connect with different kinds of people in different kinds of settings. I was marveling at the fact that just days ago I was in NYC amidst the hustle & bustle, noise and intensity in the city that never sleeps. Then yesterday being out in the woods singing Native American chants. The diversity of experience enriches my life so much.

Now, it's back to practicing music for my upcoming weddings. It is a great job, being a musician!

As always, thanks for stopping by and feel free to leave a comment or email me and say hello!

I hope you are having a good summer's end. What does this autumn bring into your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment