Monday, January 25, 2016

Music really is the universal language


I love how in my work I am asked to do something I've never done before and how this new discovery makes me feel inspired to keep learning. Last week I played music for a memorial service for a former neighbor and friend.  She was from Norway and lived many years in Sweden and so I was asked to play the music of the Swedish troubadour, Evert Taube.  The song I was requested to play on my guitar was a beautiful one called, "Lill Lindfors" and after hearing it once, it brought me to tears.  Have a listen to it yourself and see how hauntingly beautiful it is:





Pictured above is the transcription I wrote of this haunting melody and translated into a solo guitar piece. I've never done such a thing before and I loved the challenge of finding ways to articulate the emotional nuances of Evert Taube into my playing. Such an example of music being the Universal Language too. I cannot understand the words in Swedish but I can definitely understand the emotional sensitivity that Evert Taube gives to this song.


Here is a recording of it, though a very rough draft:  Lill Lindors.I hope you enjoy the beauty of that piece. I also played, "Nocturne," and "Brysson Lull."  I felt honored to be able to play music for such a special occasion. She was loved and remembered  by many and we will miss her.

No comments:

Post a Comment