Friday, January 3, 2020

Farewell to a decade and hello to 2020!



I spent the last week of 2019's holiday season playing music for those needing an extra boost. On Christmas Day, I went to the local homeless shelter and played my guitar. It was my first time there and I was grateful to offer some musical respite from being outside. The shelter is in the basement of a church and I sat in one of the rooms playing some holiday and original music on my guitar.  I know that music is such a bridge that allows me access into the lives of people I would ordinarily never encounter. The man who worked at the desk told me I'd be welcome to come back anytime he is there. I plan to do that!

I also played for a man at the hospital in ICU as he was given his last rites. His mother stood by as the nurse tended him and the chaplain read the rites. I played, "Amazing Grace," on my guitar.  It was a very moving ceremony and I was touched to see the nurse in tears as well. I felt privileged to be in  that I could contribute to the last moment's of this man and his family.

As always, I am grateful to do the work I am able to do and I wish everyone a healthy, prosperous and happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment