Monday, February 1, 2021

Drumming for Peace

 


Last time I told you how I fixed my broken drum. Now I am hear to tell you what inspired me to fix it and what I'm doing now with it! 

Each month at Unity Church in Charlottesville, my friend Ayesha leads a devotional Chanting session. The chants come from various traditions such as Native American, Hindi, Sufi, etc. If you've ever taken a yoga class, you have heard this music. It is not performance music, it is music used for meditation and sonic yoga.  A chant is a short song like a mantra that repeats over and over again.   I first discovered this music in the late 80s when I worked on summer staff at Omega in upstate New York. I was playing tabla drums then and it was great to find a community and music where I could play them. 

I am including a link for you here to see the whole chanting concert and sing along if you like! It is very uplifting and fun to do. 

For months, I was singing along from home and drumming along on my legs to this music. One day this fall, I remembered my broken drum sitting in the hallway and thought, "I have to get this fixed so that I can play with them!" and that is what I did! 

Here is the link and enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment