Monday, January 22, 2024

Pondering Music




 Hello everyone! I hope your 2024 is going well so far!  This year has started off with a lot of art and music! The attached collage is my newest creation made from a salvaged discarded painting. As you can see by the title and musical notes, I have been pondering music a lot lately. Which brings me to my next update… 

My bands started up again this year and I am learning to play the drum set again! It has been over 40 years since I last played drum set for a band. We worked on a Buddy Rich tune called “ Groovin’ Hard”    A really cool song from a favorite jazz era. Our next concert is in May, so that gives me time to get my chops back. 

In addition, I have joined a steel drum band. They are big metal melodic pan drums and it’s a lot of fun. So far we have mastered an arrangement of the gospel song, “Amen.” 

I continue to love playing for my hospital and hospice patients and composing music in Dorian mode for them. I am loving Dorian mode because it is the perfect tonality for those in distress or transition. It gives a twinge of mystery and uncertainty which matches how one would feel in the midst of a healing journey. 

That about updates me and I thank you for stopping by today. Hope you are staying warm in your corner of the world this winter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment