Saturday, December 17, 2011

Classical Gas

Today at the hospital I was playing for a man in ICU. I usually play quiet, contemplative and relaxing music for ICU/critical patients but this one was sitting up in a chair.  Often times this means for medical reasons they need to be more stimulated and so I played for him some uptempo music. My first choice was one of my favorite pieces "Classical Gas" by Mason Williams. I find this song resonates with many people. It has such a universal appeal.  As I started to play the piece,  the man said, "I love this song!" and he closed his eyes and seemed to take in each note like a source of nourishment and food.

The story behind the song, if you to classicalgas.com is that the original title was to be "Classical Gasoline" --the idea being that the song would be a sort of musical fuel that would energize you upon listening. The title was shortened to fit onto a label and it gave it a new meaning.
But today it did serve to be a musical fuel for the heart and soul. The man said with tears in his eyes as I was leaving, "you have really touched me"

No comments:

Post a Comment