Friday, May 25, 2012

Dulcimer recital



Last Sunday I participated in a dulcimer recital with my teacher, Phyllis Gaskins pictured above. Yes, that is a banjo she is playing!  But she was doing it to help her students as they played the lead part on the dulcimer. I do have to say that taking up the dulcimer many years ago was something I am so glad about. I have met the nicest people and done some cool things with it. I love the history of it.

For instance, did you know that the mountain dulcimer is one of the few indigenous American instruments in American music?  Most instruments in American music were brought over from other countries and adapted into American music.  The banjo is from Africa, the piano (pianissimo) from Italy, guitar from Spain, etc.

So I think that is pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment