Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Morning at Hope Community Center






Each month I sing with a JABA (Jefferson Board for the Aging) group at the  Hope Community Center.  I usually don't go on a Wed. and as a result of doing so today, I met some new people. It is a mixed population with a fair amount of African American people and so I love to sing some old Spirituals with them. Songs like, "Down the the Riverside", "Wade in the Water", "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot".  Always, "Stand By Me" goes over well with all ages. Great song!

Probably my favorite song we did was, "Will the Circle Be Unbroken". Since the song is a sad one.. I like to also make up new verses. I sang:

"Well I came here in this morning
just to sing and make a friend
and I'm singing, and I'm hoping
that you'll have me back again

Will the circle be unbroken
by and by lord by and by
there's a better home awaitin' in the sky
in the sky"

After we sing, we all have lunch together.  Today was some birthday cake too--so you know where I am off to after this entry. (to the gym! :)

PS how do you like that bright red color of the Hope Community Center?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment