Sunday, May 24, 2015

Keeps the music inside

It has been a challenging time for me as I recently went to visit my mother who is suffering from Alzheimer's and lives far away. It is never easy to see anyone suffer, much less my mother. I always find that my work really helps me during such times. We all have some kind of challenge or battle going on whether or not it is visible or apparent to others. I find that my work playing for patients at the hospital is the most helpful for me at this time since it allows me to do something for others.

The other day I had this vision of a big Grace Bank that we can all contribute to. At times feel overwhelmed with all the suffering that goes on in the world and helpless to do much about it all. But I can do what I can and however small it may seem, it is contributing to the greater good. So imagine then if we all had something, a gift, a skill, ideas, gestures, money, whatever you have to give. Each day we make a small contribution to the Grace Bank and those in need of some healing, peace, grace in their lives can take from this "Bank."

Yesterday I played for a patient at the hospital who was in Palliative Care. This is a place where many of them are likely not to go home. They are hospice patients who are being kept comfortable until they die.  This woman sat peacefully as I played and closed her eyes.  I envisioned her taking in the melodies I played as she breathed in. I was aware of trying to fill the room with beauty and peace and healing. When I finished, we chatted a bit about where she grew up and such. She had such a serene expression on her face as if she were at peace with all of life. I was happy that perhaps my music contributed a little to her peace (and to the Big Grace Bank out there somewhere)

As i got up to leave, I asked her if she wanted me to close the door on my way out. She smiled and nodded yes and said, "It keeps the music in." I imagined her room like a big music box where she could recall the melodies I played whenever she wanted. I left feeling uplifted by her and what we shared.

No comments:

Post a Comment