Wednesday, May 27, 2015

You bless us too

One of my favorite places I play for people is a nursing home in Madison county that is run by Mennonites. It is always inspiring to be there because the people who work there radiate such genuine kindness.  It is how I would like to be in the world more often and I really do try to be but there are times I might be down about something or tired or something prevents me from feeling my best.

Yesterday was the hottest day of the year so far and so that made me feel fatigued. It's a  long drive (30 miles) to this nursing home and during rush hour traffic, so I had to psyche myself up for it. I was greatly rewarded for my efforts, as you will see.

As a therapeutic musician, sometimes it can be a challenge in that people see my music offering as a performance. At this nursing home, I usually sit in the middle of a big circle and play soothing instrumental guitar music. This is for "sundowning" time when folks are anxious and the music is to help calm them. Often times they applaud when I finish playing a piece and listen attentively. That is very nice but I would prefer they fall asleep. (therapeutic music is opposite to a performance)

Yesterday I had the inspiration to ask if there were residents who stayed in their rooms that I could play for one on one. It turns out there was someone who was bed ridden and I went to play for him for awhile as his eyes drooped and I could see he was about to fall asleep. Next I played for Ms. B. who is generally pretty agitated and the music appeared to calm her too. After that, I did play in the big circle until one of the nurses asked me to play for another resident who was set apart by the window in a corner crying.   This is what I do best-one on one playing. I was so happy to feel I was being more useful (and not feeling like I was "performing"). On my way out that evening, I told one of the nurses I really enjoyed coming there and it inspires me. She said, "You bless us too." That was such a compliment. I drove all 30 miles home smiling and feeling good.

Check out the view across the street from this place pictured above. Just beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment