Sunday, June 7, 2015

I knew it was you....

Yesterday I sent to play for a patient in isolation in ICU outside of their room ( I am not allowed in the room when isolated). Just as I started playing opening notes on my guitar, a woman emerged from the room next door. "I knew it was you!" she said.  There stood a woman I met nearly 30 years ago when working at an independent living center (with people with disabilities). At the time, her son was a young boy (now in his 30s) and I helped her get services to enable him to be more independent. I had seen her a couple of months ago at the hospital, our first time seeing each other in a couple of decades. She looked just the same as I remembered her.  However, life has not been so kind to her recently and she asked me to play for her husband who was hospitalized.

Yesterday, in the  hallway of ICU, she said, "I wanted to talk to you when you have time. "  So, after I was done playing, I went to see her (again visiting her ailing husband) and she said, "the last time I saw you, you played a song something like "Come Spring." I said I told her it was a piece I wrote myself called, "Promise of Spring."  And she said, "How can I get that song? I want to have that and listen to it over and over again." Then she got the idea to record me playing "Promise of Spring" for her husband. I stood next to him and close to her tape recorder (on her cell phone) and played my piece. When I finished, she put down the recorder and opened her arms to hug me. We stood hugging for awhile and I was so overcome with gratitude for seeing her and reconnecting with her.  It is so good for me to connect with people doing my work. To know that I can make a difference, however small.  I told her she has helped me a lot too and we say our goodbyes as I go on my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment