Friday, March 20, 2020

Music in the time of Covoid-19


Hello everyone! As you may imagine, my work providing live therapeutic music has come to a halt indefinitely. However, I am fortunate that I am on staff at a local nursing home (limited hours) and so I have been able to continue providing the comforts of music to the residents there going room to room.

Yesterday, we thought out of the box and I led a sing along over the intercom.   We sang some of our favorite gospel songs, "This Little Light of Mine," "I'll Fly Away," "Do Lord," "Down By the Riverside," "Amazing Grace." Our last song, "Stand by Me," we video taped the residents singing outside their rooms in the hallway and we shared it on Facebook to bring cheer to our community and all around the world.

I've worked here now for 3 years and these people are so inspirational to me.  What we are now having to go through (self isolation) is something they live with every day. Lockdown is nothing new to them every flu season. Many of them do not have family or friends nearby to visit them. Yet they make do and they find little joys in simple things.

I plan to keep our intercom music flowing as well as room to room visits. I am very thankful for the opportunity to continue to share music and bring hope and comfort to others. This work is what also brings me hope and comfort.

May you all find hope and comfort in this time of uncertainty.


No comments:

Post a Comment