Saturday, March 7, 2020

Soundscapes come alive



Those of you who know me, know that I have a  Cochear implant (CI) and that has given me some unique experiences.  Awhile ago, Cochlear Americas (manufacturer of my CI) had a contest among CI recipients called, "Inspire Us."  They invited us to submit a work of visual art that would represent our hearing journey.

I immediately thought of this painting/collage pictured above that I did. Though I was not thinking of this theme when I did this work, it clearly does depict an image showing all of my favorite sounds.

I once lived in a teepee in rural California and went to sleep hearing the sounds of an owl hooting. I loved that sound more than anything!

Also, I love the sounds of the oceans' waves, the wind blowing in the trees, (the kites represent the wind), sounds of animal growls and expressions of joy. The stars represent outer space and technology.  The colorful, squiggly banners represent music and rhythm.

It turns out that this piece was selected to be part of a special art show at the Cochlear Americas headquarters in CO. I love the idea that others will see this work and maybe get a smile out of it.

One thing CI recipients know is that we do not take the simplest sound for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment