Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Going Virtual




Hi everyone! Well, after 4.5 months off from my music work, I have finally joined the ranks of virtual service. I did my first virtual therapeutic music session on FaceTime today and it went really well! I was surprised with how easy and effective it was. 

I have missed the residents at the nursing homes where I have worked for many years. I did not pursue doing music virtually with the nursing homes because I did not think they would have the means to do it.  I have come to find out that many places will bring a tablet or cell phone in a resident's room and set it up for the patient. 

I was happy to see my friend A. today. I have worked with her about a year now. She is currently in hospice, so it is uncertain how much time we have left to share music. 

When the nurses aid called me and we hooked up to FaceTime, she said A. was very sleepy and was not sure she could stay awake. That is not a problem though because I believe that deep relaxation is a beneficial response to music. However, that is not what happened!  As soon as she heard my voice, her eyes lit up and she began to move to the music.  A. is non verbal but she shows her response to music in her eyes, facial expressions and body movements. It was such a joy to sing for her as it did me so much good too. It has been hard to feel like I could not do the work I feel I am meant to be doing. 
Today showed me there is no barrier now. With my iPad and guitar and voice, I can still reach them. 

So grateful!

I know if you are reading this, you have also experienced challenges and setbacks from this pandemic. It is my hope you have also experienced blessings in disguise and new beginnings. 
Here's to more new beginnings. :) 

P.S. That's my cat, Abilene in the picture in her first Zoom class this spring. Unfortunately, she passed away a few weeks ago. Sure miss her! 




No comments:

Post a Comment