Friday, August 10, 2012

A gift...

Today I was singing for a group of elderly friends at one of the homes I play in monthly. I complimented one of them for her beautiful watch she was wearing. She immediately took it off her wrist and told me, "it is yours to keep!"  She smiled brightly and there was a twinkle of mischief and laughter in her eyes. I said, "no! I can't take this! you won't have anything to wear!" but she insisted, saying, "you do so much for the people, it is yours to keep." And again I tried to give it back but I could see she really wanted to give me a gift.  So I put it on and I said, "thank you." and she smiled again and did a "thumbs up" gesture.

As I was walking back to my car, I lifted it up to look at it more closely and saw that the watch is broken and does not tick. It will always read 6:25.  You can see in the picture a crack in the face of it.

but does that matter? not at all. It is all the more a sweet and thoughtful gift. It makes me smile every time I look at it. Does it matter what time it is anyway?

3 comments:

  1. sweet tale Blue. you gave the gift of receiving her gift...quite priceless and generous....
    love it
    ;) kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's a great story. and the watch is not too shabby either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's my lucky watch! I will wear it when I have something big and scary to do to remind me to not take myself too seriously.

    ReplyDelete