Friday, August 17, 2012

What about a sing along...





I so enjoy singing with people. My singing voice is a part of my musical life I feel most unsure of. I certainly do not have what is considered to be a "beautiful" voice.  But I have had the discussion many times about the difference between a good singer vs. a good voice. A good singer does not necessarily have to have a good  voice. They are someone who is able to communicate a feeling or message of the song. They can bring people together over a shared memory and experience. 

Today I sang at the Colonnades,  a place I've been singing at for 7 years.  I notice with interest days when everyone is very into the songs and sing along enthusiastically and everyone seems to be really enjoying it. (and I also notice the off days when no one seems to be listening--although thankfully, that hasn't happened as much lately)

So today I sang for the biggest group I've ever had there. It seemed the whole room was full and I think my favorite moment came when I was singing, "Hey, Good Lookin'" and I saw across the room  a young girl and her mother dancing around the room. The girl had been watching me with great interest for awhile and I was happy to see her dance. How to follow that one?! I sang, "Stand by Me" next.. but that is not a dance song.

Later, one of the elderly residents said to me, "you keep your singing up--it's very meaningful."   I am glad she feels that way because I sure do too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment