Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Take Me Home Country Roads




This song  is the #1 most requested song of all time in my work as a certified music practitioner at the hospital. It's not  surprising in a way though because it says "take me home".  We all want to go home. And many people I see at the hospital are from West Virginia, so the songs strikes another chord with them.

Today I was playing on one floor when a man came up to me and asked me to come with him to his wife's room.  The was a rough and tumble way about him that told me he was a country man. And sure enough, the song he wanted me to sing was the one I just told you about.

I don't often sing in patients' rooms because I mostly play quiet, soothing music to help patients relax but every now and then a patient like the one today got the good news that they are going home and that is a time to celebrate.

So I started playing "Take Me Home Country Roads" and the man sang along with me. His wife was sitting on the bed with her bags packed and looking a little embarrassed by her husband's exuberance. Next we sang "This Little Light of mine".. and changed the words to, "getting out of the hospital, I'm gonna let it shine.." and somehow that flowed into Johnny Cash, "I walk the Line" and I left them with ,"You are my Sunshine".

I enjoyed that a lot but I have to say that it was a little uncomfortable at times because the patient wasn't as into it as the husband of the patient. Sometimes this happens. The family thinks that they are doing something wonderful for their loved one to have me come in the room and they get all excited an it turns into something that is not really why I am there.

Even so.. I suspect some of her reaction was not really how she really felt because as her husband sang, "because you're mine, I walk the line,"  I could see the glimmer of happiness in her eyes and a shadow of a smile she was trying not to show. She seemed to think we should be more quiet (hospitals are worse than libraries in that way) and so I suspect that was part of her reaction.

Anyway.. a few happy songs did us all some good.

2 comments:

  1. Blue, I think you were in exactly the right place at the right time! That man might have been through a rough emotional time, maybe even tougher than his wife's, and HE might have been the one you were there for. I don't think we ever really know the people we touch and how deeply we touch them. And I am sure the wife, if she weren't worried about making a fuss in the hospital, would have been more into it! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jean, you are so right about that! He sang with such reckless abandon and joy --I bet he was so relieved his wife would be coming home. I hadn't thought of that. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete