Friday, September 28, 2012

what a quarter can't buy





Today I sang at a new (to me) nursing home to one of the most responsive and warm group of people I've ever sung with.  We sang all of the old songs learned in school, "You are my Sunshine", "Clementine", "This Land is Your Land", "My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean", etc. I am always struck by how these old, simple songs strike such a deep chord in people. I never would have imagined the happiness they can bring to us.   Each of them sang loudly with a big smile on their faces and we laughed at the funny songs and talked about the more philosophical ones.

When we sang, "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot", I told them the story of when I was a little girl, it was my favorite song and I would sing it to myself to sleep. My father used to get angry and come in my room and scold me and say, "I said stop that singing!" and no sooner would he close the door, I'd start up again.  We all laughed today at that story and I said, "see? it paid off didn't it? --me singing in my bed all night!" I wonder if my father as an angel smiles at me from afar when I sing these old songs he told me to stop singing.

When our hour of singing together was finished, I was approached by several of the people there hugging me and shaking my hand. One woman took out a quarter from her purse and slipped it in my hand and said, "get yourself something to drink." I said, "no, you need that for yourself!" but she only drew me to her and hugged me and kissed my cheek and said softly, "I love you."

And so I just got out of bed to tell you this story and I took a picture of this quarter to show you. It can't buy much from a store but it sure makes me smile to see it. 


2 comments:

  1. This is such a beautiful story, Blue. What wonderful people you work with. What else do we need but this kind of open, generous hearts? SO lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely story, I'm so glad you posted it!

    ReplyDelete