Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Happy Earth Day to All!

Happy Earth Day to All! The last two days I had the pleasure of teaching first graders at Greer Elementary all about Earth Day. We sang songs about recycling, caring for the earth, learned about a day in the life of trees and different Habitats.   I love to see that children are so smart and I hardly had to "teach" them, as they already know so much. For instance, I was telling them that we could all eliminate being wasteful by reusing some things again. I brought with me a chipped coffee mug and asked them what might I use it for? Answers, "to plant a flower," "to hold some pens/pencils," "to bring to the beach to make a sandcastle," "to use as a pail." I also showed them a plastic water bottle and asked them what would be better than to have this disposable bottle? Most of them held up their own decorated water bottles they use again and again.

A funny thing happened during our afternoon class --the electricity went out. The perfect setting to talk about saving on power and things we could do. Things like: hand wash dishes (instead of dishwasher), hang clothes outside to dry, make a compost, rake instead of leaf blow, etc.

Their favorite song we sang was "The Earth is Our Mother," a traditional Native American song. They understand that while some people go to church and sing about God, Native Americans sing about the Earth.  I also taught them to sing, "Happy Earth Day to All" (to the tune of "Happy Birthday") and they got it down right away!

We were even visited by the local news! (link will be supplied later!)

No comments:

Post a Comment