Wednesday, April 1, 2015

It Takes a Worried Woman to Sing a Worried Song

 As a therapeutic musician, I am often asked what kind of music I play. The answer is --all kinds! It all depends on who I am playing for.  When playing for a patient, I first consider their medical condition before choosing. Often times they are too ill to digest a song with words and so I play something very simple on my guitar.  A few chords in a familiar key and style could bring them a sense of home and comfort.

Yesterday at the hospital, I was sent to an elderly woman's room who was said to be sad and discouraged for being in the hospital so long. I don't often sing but I knew by looking at her that she'd respond best to songs. She was sitting up in a chair (a good sign) and I sang, "You Are My Sunshine." She immediately joined in. I had a feeling she was a singer. After that, she asked for some Old Time music like, "I'll Fly Away." That led to singing, "Worried Man Blues." Maybe you've heard it? Here are  the lyrics to the chorus:

It takes a worried man to sing a worried song,
It takes a worried man tossing a worried song,
I'm worried now but I won't be worried long!

I changed them to say, "It takes a worried woman to sing a worried song." and she laughed and sang right along. We also sang a Carter Family song, "Keep on the Sunny Side."  We then sang the old song, "Will the Circle Be Unbroken." I was just talking to someone about this song last week. He said, "that song is about watching their mother being carried away in a hearse." I said, "that's why people like it!" We sometimes think we should shy away from a dark song that talks about death and struggle but I've seen it over and over that these songs bring such a sense of catharsis and comfort. Mind you, these are the kinds of songs she asked for.  I know this genre of music would not be healing for someone who prefers jazz, for instance. It helps to know something about where a person is from and their background.

Many of the Old Time songs were written by people going through a dark time. They are meant to help people remember that we've all got to cross that lonesome valley and there is no one who can cross it for you. (words from the Carter Family song, "Lonesome Valley Blues."

We ended our session with "Amazing Grace." This song really moves me to sing at the hospital. There is that verse:

Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

These people know the power of those words and singing them brings them hope and comfort. It was quite a privilege to sing with this woman yesterday. She really brightened up and looked radiantly happy after singing together. Good medicine!

No comments:

Post a Comment