Tuesday, March 31, 2015

I Got Rhythm, Who can ask for anything more?

This past weekend I completed work to be a trained HealthRHYTHMS facilitator. It's a series of protocols using drums in a group to facilitate empowerment, community, connection all in a fun way. At times it is like a drum circle but more structured. There will be times in the session for each of the participants to  have the opportunity to lead the drum circle.  It is a fun way to feel safe and connected using drumming and music to express feelings, thoughts, ideas, dreams in a supportive group.

When I was about 10 years old, I fell in love with drumming. I was given a pair of drum sticks by my art teacher and I put them to use right away by playing along to drum centered 45s. Songs like, "Hawaii Five-0," and "Mission Impossible" theme songs were among my favorites.

I went on to be a the only girl drummer in my high school band.  It was great fun and something I loved most about it was the ability to express myself through an instrument where words failed. For example, I went through my teen years on a tumultuous roller coaster ride. I didn't 'feel comfortable talking to people about what I was feeling inside. But get me behind my drum set and I could pound it out--the whole neighborhood heard me!  There is much to be said about finding self expression through music and arts.

I know the power of rhythm and drumming in a group. It's empowering and transformational. I saw it this weekend and I look forward to offering Health Rhythms sessions in the near future! Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment