Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Laughter is the Best Medicine

Last night I was playing a "sundowning serenade" session at a nursing home in Madison County.  For some seniors, the time of sundown is an anxiety provoking time and it can be hard for them to unwind from the day.  My job is to play soothing, relaxing, comforting instrumental guitar music to help calm them. It is one of my favorite things to do. I love looking out at the group and watching their eyes drooping as they begin to let go of the day and prepare for the next.

There was a woman sitting right in front of me with whom I have never seen before. As I played my guitar, our eyes met and she smiled and waved at me. I could not wave back but I smiled at her and as I did, she burst into a fit of laughter. Which made me laugh too--all the while still playing my guitar. This went on the whole hour I was there! I would be deep in concentration and look over at her and she'd laugh, then I'd laugh too. Next she started hiding from me. I'd look over and she'd quickly put her hand over her eyes and I'd watch her until she moved her hand and make a silly face. More laughter. By the way, this was quiet laughter... the kind with hardly any sound but it was laughter nonetheless.

Later after I got home, as I was getting ready for bed, I remembered the laughing woman again and burst out laughing --this time out loud. What a funny encounter! Also though, I really felt we connected in a way i haven't done in awhile. It's rare you laugh with people for no reason. This week I had been having trouble sleeping and not feeling so energized as a result. Laughing with her gave me a real shot in the arm!

1 comment:

  1. Every one faces different types of problems i think this one will sort out problems of many people Laughter is the Best Medicine Quote has Proven 15 Benefits you will get benefits after reading this

    ReplyDelete