Saturday, March 14, 2015

When Irish hearts are happy

Tis been a fun week of spreading the Irish cheer and good times.  I recently learned a bunch of old Irish songs to sing with my senior groups. Songs like, "When Irish Eyes are Smiling," "Molly Malone,", "It's a Long way to Tipperary," and others. Yesterday in one nursing home when I sang these songs, a woman who usually never sings was singing all of them! She also moved her hands to the beat as if conducting. She was more involved and lively than I have ever seen her.  Even one of the other residents pointed out her lively involvement. Her smiles and cheer spread to everyone in the room. You just never know what song(s) will spark a memory. I work to find songs like this that will touch someone in a new way.

Here are some Irish jokes:

Q: Why can't you borrow money from a leprechaun?
A: Cause they're always a little short

Q: How do you get an Irishman on the roof?
A: Tell him the drinks are on the house.

Never iron a four leaf clover. You don’t want to press your luck.

I so much enjoy making people happy and it has been great to have the holiday of St. Patrick's Day approaching to make people smile and laugh.

Last night I played at a fundraiser for the Fluvanna SPCA. It was held at the beautiful winery  in Scottsville called Thistle Gate. That's where I am in the picture above. It was taken minutes before the place filled up with people. Guess what? I got carded too! I told the guy he will faint when he sees how old I am. (He did appear stunned. Hint: I've been playing the guitar since 1975 to give you an idea of my age).   I enjoyed having a "Shamrock Sangria" and chatting with the supporters of the SPCA on my breaks. It's a grand life, this musician life! Being an O'Connell,  perhaps it's the Luck 'O the Irish :)

No comments:

Post a Comment