Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Touring Singers' Homecoming Song

Yesterday I played at a nursing home in rural Virginia that is run by Mennonites. It is one of my very favorite places to go. Each time I make the 30 mile drive as I leave behind the remnants of city life behind, I feel such a sense of peace come over me. I so much needed this peace yesterday! It was a day I was feeling a little discouraged about being self employed and no longer working with a team of people or having a boss to guide me. Don't get me wrong, I love my work but it is not always easy.

I take refuge in this country nursing home run by such peaceful and kind people. Last night when I drove up to the home, I saw a bus across the street with a congregation of Mennonite people all dressed in purple standing near it. It was too far to hear, but the way the were standing, I could tell they were singing. (pictured above)

I sat in my car a few minutes and took pictures of the mountain view until it was time to go in and play for the residents. When I got to the door, a young woman wearing a purple dress let me in. Then I saw the rest of the group that was outside the bus. Standing together as if preparing to sing, they all looked windswept, well traveled and radiant. The band's leader said to me, "give us five minutes" and then he lifted his arms to signal them and they began to sing the most beautiful song.  Everyone who was not already seated to listen stopped their work and came to take in their impromptu performance.  I saw tears well up in the eyes of a few of the women looking on.  As I listened and took in the whole scene, I felt so lifted up. It was so what I needed! Being in the presence of such positive people and music making and offerings from the heart makes me feel such gratitude for being alive.

After their song ended, no one applauded. There was a stillness in the room for a few minutes and the leader of the band looked to me and said, "you can take over now." As I prepared to play, I spoke with one of the singers who told me they had traveled on a singing tour for 3,000 miles in just 4 days. I then set up my guitar and microphone and started to play but no..... it was like I was being played. It was a feeling I don't have often. A feeling like one gets when you do something called "automatic writing" --only I was automatic guitar playing. The music flowed from me with such ease and beauty that I could not claim my own. It was just magical. I know I can tell you all about this because I am sure you have had a similar experience. When have you experienced a magical moment? I'd like to hear about that. Thank you for stopping by!

3 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful story, Blue! What wonderful work you do!

    Love,
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete