Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Gospel and Goosebumps

There are times I am singing with a group and I get the goosebumps. I feel like when this happens, it is a sign of something magical going on. Today I got the goosebumps singing at a Mission Home.  It was such a high energy time of singing together. One reason it was especially enlivening is  because of a staff member named Mary. She's a CNA there and has been for nearly a decade and she loves her work. It shows in her bounding energy and spirit.

I know this group likes to sing hymns and gospel and I love to try out new repertoire.  I didn't grow up going to church and I'm from the midwest, so I love learning Southern Gospel songs. (I live in Virginia and many of the people I sing with are from rural areas). Today I brought with me, "There's a Storm Out on the Ocean." Maybe you've heard it.  Here are the lyrics:

"There’s  a  storm  out  on  the  ocean
And  it’s  moving  this a  way
If  your  soul’s  not  anchored  in  Jesus
You  will  surely  drift  away

Drift  away,
Lord,  drift  away
You  will  surely  drift  away
If  your  soul’s  not  anchored  in  Jesus
You  will  surely  drift  away..."

I started singing it the way I've heard it sung, kind of slow and bluesy and Mary joined in. Afterwards she said politely, "I've heard it done a different way." I asked her to sing it her way and this is where the goosebumps happened. What a soulful voice!  Her singing got the attention of one of the nurses and she came and joined in. We all started clapping and singing, "you will surely drift away, drift away Lord, drift away." We sang this song about 4 times over and over. It was great!

We had other such moments and got to talking and sharing about our lives. We found we had a lot in common. When it was time for me to go, she stood up and held out her arms.  I felt such a connection as we hugged. "See you next time and thanks for coming!" Mary said. I left feeling rich with gratitude.


No comments:

Post a Comment