Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Peace and quiet and a song to uplift me

The last few days have been stressful here as the noise from the construction (new development - yuck!) next door has increased. Because of this noise, my cats have been fighting and I even had to take one of them to the vet to be sure it is not a medical reason. Her diagnosis? Stress from the noise.
We all have times like this.

Yesterday I was feeling downhearted as if a big cloud was hanging over me. I knew I had to go play at a nursing home 30 miles away later that evening and wondered if I had anything to give.  Well, it is as I say many times -- my work really helps me a lot! For I was so richly rewarded from my time at the nursing home out in Madison county.

When I arrived, I was welcomed by the new activities director I had not met before. It is often a bit stressful because sometimes a new activities director means I'm cut out of their new vision & schedule. I was happy to see this was not at all the case.

I enjoyed the peace of playing calming music (which I also needed) for the residents. When I was finished, I went to say hello to one of the residents I see each time. She often comes during the last 10 minutes and brings her afghans she is crocheting.  Last night I learned more about her and as we talked she asked brightly, "Did I give you my Christmas letter? " I nodded that she did not as she went to get it. She came back and as she handed it to me said, "It doesn't say anything about Christmas but it talks about all that I'm doing here." Then she asked, "Shall I sing you a song?" and I told her I would love that. She sang a song about Jesus is her friend (this is a Mennonite  home where I play).  When she finished I clapped and said, "You just lifted me right up!" and then she smiled with a delighted grin and said, "There is another verse. Shall I sing that?" I laughed and said, "I would love that." Well, this went on for 3 more verses! I was so taken by her joyful spirit and it was so much of what I needed. She really gave me a shot in the arm and I smiled all the way home.

When I got home, I got out her "Christmas letter" and read that she has Alzheimer's to which she said, "Lord, I don't want that! But I trust there is a reason for everything and I make do. "  The letter went on to tell of how she spends all day praying for others. She said she missed baking for Yoders' country store. I was so taken by all she does even with her Alzheimer's she does a lot for others. She certainly helped me too.

The picture attached is one I took on a peaceful day at a friends' pond. I need those images sometimes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment