Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Serving the underserved

Every now and then a friend sends me  a link to a radio station to send my CD to and make suggestions for my music career. They think I should sell and promote myself and try to gain more public recognition. While I do appreciate their thoughts, I also feel misunderstood. What they don't understand is that I am happy playing at day care centers, the hospital, nursing homes.  It means much more to me than any DJ that would take an interest enough to play me on their radio show.

Yesterday for instance,  it made me smile to see the sign above that lists me in the activities for the day which includes pet therapy and menu of the day.  Pets, music, food --what could be better? This is an assisted living residence where I have played for 3 years now. As always, it was a great time spent with them.

I was about 1/2 way through my set when I saw a Chaplain I used to know from the hospital walk in. She smiled and waved to me as I kept singing. Then she settled in next to one of the residents who was sitting in a wheelchair in the corner.   I sang a couple southern hymns, "In the Sweet By and By," "I'll Fly Away, " and then some Patriotic songs for 4th of July (we were still celebrating a few days later). The Chaplain sang along while focused on the woman she sat next to. I could see the woman was not able to speak aloud (due to disability) but she moved her lips along with the Chaplain to the songs. Both of their faces lit up with a happy expression of connection.  The room was filled with music and good feelings. That's more than a radio airplay can do for me!

Some people don't get it that it brings me so much joy to do this work.  They picture singing for the sick and people living in nursing homes as depressing. It is not at all! In fact, I find the competitive music scene to be depressing. I prefer these modest centers and homes and rooms filled with people where the music brings them happy memories. For those who think that the only way for a musician is to be famous... well,  maybe you can come with me sometime to see what I mean. There's more to life than fame or the seeking of fame. Though my wages are meager, I am rich in other ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment