Monday, July 13, 2015

Songs are like good dinnerware

I think good songs are like good dinnerware.  Both are beautiful to see and hear, both serve a purpose to feed the body, mind and soul. Finding the right song for the right time goes beyond what many come to see music as sheer entertainment. It serves as a way to bring people together and share in new memories or bond over a fond memory of the past.

Last night at one of the nursing homes I play in I had such a good time finding the right songs for the moment. This is a place where I come and play calming music to people with dementia before bedtime.  Often times I come and play and I don't have much interaction with the residents (as they are falling asleep, etc) but once in awhile something special happens.

There was a family member visiting his mother and he situated her wheelchair right in front of me and they sat and listened together. I judged the man to be about my age and played music I knew he would know, as well as his mother.  It was so nice to see him singing along to, "Chim Chim Cheree" (Mary Poppins), "When You Wish Upon a Star", "Over the Rainbow," "Edleweiss", "I Can't Help Falling In Love With You." (Elvis).  The man would close his eyes & smile  each time a new song came  that he knew and then he would lean over and sing to his mother. Most of those songs were popular when we were growing up, so his mother would recall the songs too.

Something I've done recently is that i used to not play music that I had to read from a score for people. To be honest, I am a slow music reader and I would get tripped up and make too many mistakes for it to be a pleasant experience for the listener. (and me). But this summer I made some charts that are easier for me to read and I played from these last night. It was so gratifying to see that this work has paid off.

I am looking forward to serving songs up to more people in this new way.

No comments:

Post a Comment