Wednesday, March 26, 2014

One with the infinite sun


Yesterday I had such a wonderful experience as Artist-in-Residence working with a high school group presenting Native American music.  I had come prepared to teach them several Native American chants but I was not sure if they would sing along with me. Sure enough, they did! I have always loved these chants.  Here are a few, "Hey Hey Watenay," "The Earth is Our Mother," "Now I Walk in Beauty," "The River is Flowing."  I think the favorite was the one below from the Lakota tribe:


I am One with the Infinite Sun
I am one with the infinite sun,
forever and ever and ever
I am one with the infinite sun,
forever and ever and ever

Kiawate, Leno Leno, Mahotay
Heyno, Heyno, Heyno
Kiawate, Leno Leno, Mahotay
Heyno, Heyno, Heyno

I also brought my Medicine Cards (animal cards) and passed them around for students to pick a card and I read the message. We talked about how the Native Americans believe that nature is always communicating to us and one way is with animal totems. Then I showed them this amazing video "How Wolves Change Rivers"
 which shows what happened when wolves were reintroduced to the ecosystem at Yellowstone Park back in the 90s.  It's well worth the time to watch! 
In the picture above, the students wrote down what the liked best about my presentation. Many said the wolf video, several also said the songs we sang. It was quite an uplifting time!

No comments:

Post a Comment