Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Smiling on the inside

We take so much for granted. Imagine having a disability where you could not show expression in your face or clap your hands after a performance. Yesterday I met such a man who told me, "Even though I can't smile, I am smiling on the inside." Another time he told me, "I can't clap my hands to show you I liked your song but I am really enjoying it."

I went to a new place yesterday out in Waynesboro.  It's in a small shopping center and it is a day care center for people with special needs and seniors. The staff was so welcoming and so involved with the music session we did. It was maybe one of the best times I've had at a new location!

When I arrived at the center, I was brought to the room where I would sing and found everyone to be sitting in a large circle. Everyone was relaxing in a big Lazy Boy chair with homemade afghan blanket  covering them.

We sang the old school songs and talked about most of them. It seemed each song led to a conversation. "I've been working on the Railroad" had us talking about train rides we've taken. "My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean" about boat rides. "Home on the Range" about what is a range? :)

I passed out percussion instruments and they played along with me. Later I got out my drum and we played a call and response game. I would play a beat and they followed--they were very good at it! Then we did a drumming rain storm. Then we jammed while one girl danced. It was such fun!

It was such a dreary, cold winter day and it brought us all some warmth and smiles on the inside and out!

No comments:

Post a Comment