Sunday, April 10, 2016

Tales of a Mystery Guest


I had a very interesting opportunity where I participated in the local library's program, "The Big Read." This is a National program where libraries choose a book to be read and host various discussions and events based on the novel. This year's book was, "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter" by Carson McCullers. The biggest theme in the book is our struggle with isolation. The book centers on several characters who are in some ways a misfit or social outcast. There is also one deaf character in the book which is the reason I was chosen to give a presentation about my cochlear implant journey after the screening of the documentary, "Lost & Sound." 

I also played in the grand finale of for The Big Read which was a lot of fun.  One of the activities for the program asked people to submit art work that was inspired by the themes of the book. I enjoyed seeing the photographs, paintings, drawings and collage displayed at The Haven where the finale took place.

I enjoyed playing some of my own songs that spoke on this. One of them being my song, "Mystery Song"  here are some of the words:

"Why are you standing outside?
Life has invited you along
Come to the table inside.
You belong, you belong

All that you want is seeking you
why don't you let yourself be found
You really never are alone
Welcome home, welcome home."

I also played some poems I found of Carson McCullers and George Eliot I set to music. I've always loved books about as much as I love music, so that was a lot of fun.
Above I'm pictured playing my Native American style flute which I opened the program with. A very fun gig indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment