Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Yankee songs

Today I played over at JABA with my friend Ben who is the activities director there. It's a lot of fun because I so rarely get to play with someone. Ben sings harmony so well and he plays a lot of guitar solos and the harmonica, which adds a lot to the sound. What I love most about it is that the folks there dance to our music. That is something new for me and something I like a lot.
I mostly do sing alongs and so at some point I was singing some that other folks like to sing.  After leading, "Battle Hymn of the Republic" Ben said that he was told not to sing that song here in Virginia because it was a Yankee song.  That's a new one on me!   So to balance it out, I sang "Dixie"  (which by the way I only learned in the past year as a request. I never learned it growing up in Chicago)

My favorite song Ben sings is, "Big Boss Man". Here he is playing for the camera:

No comments:

Post a Comment