Sunday, February 12, 2012

A Valentine luncheon


Today I played my guitar for a luncheon at one of the nursing homes where I work. The residents dressed in red and pink blouses and I got to meet some of their friends and family. I played background music as you hear in restaurants, to give the lunch a formal atmosphere. I was struck by how much the staff did for the residents. They decorated the tables (see the photo above) and the everyone's door has a Valentine on it. We began the lunch with a prayer and grace. Afterwards we played a word game and a guess how many Hershey's Kisses are in the jar?

All just simple things that make a rich experience. Later a women in a wheelchair asked me to take her to her room.  Once we got there and I settled her in the bed, she said, "wait--I want to show you something." and she lifted her legs up and moved them like she was riding a bicycle in the air. Then she smiled and laughed and gave me a look as if to say, "well, what do you think of that?!" I said, "wow, that's really something!" She said, "for an old lady! do you know I am 94 years old?" and with that she reached for my hand and we held hands and talked awhile longer.
I can only hope to be that spritely at that age!



No comments:

Post a Comment