Monday, October 15, 2012

From old to young






Today was really an interesting and fun time that started with my doing a sing along with a group of seniors. We sing all the old songs we learned in school growing up and whatever else comes to mind. So, while I was in the middle of playing, "I'll Fly Away"  suddenly one of the residents came into the room with an old, beat up guitar. He approached me slowly while wearing a mischievous grin on his face. He seemed up to something.

 I kept playing the song and he sat down across from me and smiled again held his guitar for a while longer. Just when I was wondering if he just came out to show it to me or help him change his strings or something--he jumped right into the song! And boy, he could pick too! He played fast country licks and bass lines and after we ended the song he laughed a hardy laugh.  I laughed too and started playing, "Will the Circle Be Unbroken" and he nailed it again! We went on that way for a few more songs and I really wanted to take his picture but I felt to shy about it. Instead I found a picture of a guitar that looked like his but without his smiling face, it is not much to look at. Still, what a fun surprise!

As if that was not enough for one day...I taught my songwriting class tonight and we had just two students in the class (a teenaged boy and a girl of 10).  I led them through a songwriting prompt exercise and started working on a Thanksgiving song collaboration with them but somehow things weren't flowing. Just as I ran out of ideas of what else to show them,  the girl in the class said, "why don't we have a jam session!" and so we did. And boy did we!

Wow! She played the piano, while the other student and I played guitar. I am going to upload this on my SoundCloud page for all to hear and experience. It was just delightful to play like a child again with them. To experience the sense of wonder and the beauty that came. What a gift.

1 comment:

  1. What wonderful experiences you have, Blue! I wish you had gotten a picture of him---I'll bet he would have loved it! And the students sound awesome! Beautiful experiences, Blue!

    ReplyDelete