Thursday, October 25, 2012

Keeper of Time



Today I led some rhythms at a drum circle at JABA. I showed the group a heartbeat rhythm and they accompanied me while I improvised on my Native American style flute. Then I showed them an African rhythm we played for awhile. We also played rhythms led by Douglas (pictured above) and it was just a nice way to spend time with everyone. 

Earlier this morning I did an object writing exercise I learned from a songwriting book. All you do is pick a random object and write for 10 minutes on it.  Don't think about it or try to plan or control what comes out... just keep the pen moving. I picked my metronome which was interesting to write about. I had forgotten that I would also drum later this morning. Here's part of what came out:

metronome
keeper of time, keep me in place
tick to the universe, tock to the space
numerical wheel, red light blinks
rhythm, old as an Egyptian sphinx
you tick so loudly so i can hear
you keep soundly so there is no fear.


1 comment: