Thursday, March 28, 2013

An autumn song in spring


There's a gentleman who I see each month at one of the nursing homes I play. In the 6 months I have been playing there, he never showed he liked the music I played or sang along. He always sat with a stern expression on his face I took to mean that he didn't like the music. On my way out last month, he asked if I could sing the song, "Autumn Leaves" and so I learned it and today I sang it for him.  With this, I saw a whole new side to him as he smiled and sang along for the first time. He has a very nice singing voice too and many others sang along. The sound of our voices and the melody was so haunting that it gave me the goosebumps. Later the activities coordinator came in because I had told her I had a special song to sing for one of the residents. She asked to hear it and we sang it again and I got goosebumps all over again. To me, the goosebumps are an indication of magic in the air. It was very nice to see this man come alive and he sang with many of the others songs too. Also present was a woman who used to sing on Broadway--we did some beautiful singing today!

Earlier I played in the surgical trauma and burn unit ICU at the hospital. I played for a woman who seemed very agitated.  She had such visible wounds all over her face and shaved head, at first it was difficult to look at her. But she smiled when I started to play the guitar and several times during the session she pointed to me and nodded as if to say, "yes, that is good music!" Sometimes she would try to pull out her IVs and I would gently tell her to please leave them in as they will help her to heal. She listened to what I said and stopped. She also had what looked to be her own blanket underneath the hospital sheets. Once she dug for her blanket and appeared about to weep but stopped herself. I got tears in my eyes watching her struggling with pain at times and wanting to cry out or unplug herself from the machines. I stayed with her for a long time. It's amazing what some people have to go through.

Interesting days I have with my work. In the morning there was pain and sorrow, the afternoon, joy and laughter and sharing. Music is what brings us all peace to be there for whatever life offers.

2 comments:

  1. Your music is a blessing to all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Evelyn,

    Thank you so much, I feel so fortunate to have such wonderful experiences with people and music.

    ReplyDelete