Sunday, March 24, 2013

Heart, Soul and Spirit: Reflections of our concert



"Music's purpose is to bring you to a fragile and personal moment.  Every musician strikes a different balance between faith and reason, instinct and intelligence." - Michael Tilson Thomas - TED Talk

Last night I gave a concert with 3 of my good friends--all of whom I have known for many years and have collaborated with in different ways.  In light of the quote above, I wanted to share some insights into what I felt we each brought to the evening.

Mary Gordon Hall is a singer/songwriter and she is especially gifted with harmonies. She can blend with anyone and make their voices sound more beautiful. In a similar way that a good photographer can make an average person look radiantly beautiful.  MG (as I call her) represented the Heart. Her songs speak of love, longing and innocence and spontaneity.

Peter Markush is an amazing instrumentalist (cello, piano, bass, guitar, fiddle). He played cello on our songs --and in the same way MG can blend with anyone, Peter can make any melody especially haunting and beautiful with his cello playing. He also sings with raw emotion and his songs express the complex absurdities of life. To me he represented the Soul of the group.

Sandy Johnson is a harp player (pictured above) and she brought to the evening an angelic peace with her gentle celtic and old folk melodies.  She represented the Ethereal realm.

Now me I am not as objective about but my songs are about spiritual journeys and questions and my love of nature. I represent the Spirit.

Together, all of us weaved an evening of unique expressions of beauty, joy, peace.  I loved it!
Thank you to all who came out to hear us!

1 comment:

  1. Very nice, Blue. I think you captured the essence of all of us independently as elements of our musical evening and collectively as parts of a whole. We had such a wonderful time. It was great playing music with both of you, again, and I so enjoyed talking to Sandy and hearing her harp music. Great evening! Thanks for putting this together and including me!

    ReplyDelete