Sunday, March 3, 2013

Sonic Tonic: Serving the Elixir of Life


Today was a special day for me as I gave a presentation with the title, "Sonic Tonic: Serving the Elixir of Life".   It took place at a venue that has a series which features holistic and alternative healing presentations each month.  

My presentation today talked about my work as a certified music practitioner (CMP) and my work in ICU at a hospital. I talked about what inspired me to work in the healing arts back in the mid 80s when I was a studying to become an acupuncturist. I told of how I decided to leave acupuncture school because I became conflicted over how demanding the program was and how it took me away from music. Then there was my fateful conversation with my friend Joe who helped me to see that I could be a healer with music.. although it took me nearly 20 more years to find the Music for Healing and Transition Program (mhtp.org)  which led me to where I am now.

I shared "songs from the 11th hour" --which were songs I chose from lists I compiled from my journals from working at the hospital. They were songs that were requested often or songs that had the most powerful response.

We also did some GIM (guided imagery to music) and toning and chanting. It was all a bit of an experiment and a risk for me as I had never tried to lead a workshop like this before. I found that I really enjoyed it and I hope to do more of it soon!

What ways have you found music to be healing in your life? do you like to sing (even in the car and shower counts!)

3 comments:

  1. Music has lifted me when I've been down, comforted me when I've been in despair, made me cry when I needed to, and helped me in so many ways. I love to sing. I have sung in church choirs, but no longer do that. Mostly it's in the car now! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina I love to sing in the car and in the shower too!

    ReplyDelete