Friday, November 22, 2013

A Swan Song

Last week when I was singing with one of my favorite groups, I noticed a new employee watching us. After our first song, I went over to introduce myself and she told me she was the new activities director. I had known the other had left though I never knew why. In this line of work, I see a  lot of changeover in personnel. I guess the residents get used to that sort of thing.

After my music session was over, the new director caught me on my way out and asked if we could talk. She then said while she was listening to us, she thought, "why are we paying for this? we should get all volunteers!"  And that is what she intends to do. I can't afford to give away my services but I do charge very low rates for some.

So, yesterday was my last day at this nursing home I love. In the past 1.5 yrs being there, I have played for all of their holiday parties. Christmas, Labor Day, 4th of July, Valentine's Day. I was a friend to them. Some of those people have no family or friends in the area. Our singing group gave them a place to belong.

As it happened too, our last time singing together was maybe the best time ever. I gave it as much gusto as I could and tried to push aside thoughts of a goodbye to come. I had thought about whether to tell them or not but after considering the situation for a long time, I decided not to say anything. This is because it would only upset them and possibly create bad feelings toward the new director.

I did write this director though to ask if she would reconsider this decision and so I wait her response.   I've seen a lot of transition in this line of work and it is just part of the gig. I am hoping it's not over with them but if it is...I will just have to accept that.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Blue...how are you? Sorry to hear it was your last day at the nursing home. I know you brought so much joy to the residents...I wish you the best of luck on your next journey and I know you will continue to spread more joy and happiness! Hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katherine,

    It is good to hear from you. I enjoy reading your blog each day and keeping up with your adventures. Thank you very much for your thoughtful comment here. I was really bummed at first and then I thought again about it. I have seen so many times when something is taken away or ends, something else comes. Being a freelance worker, I've seen lots of change and I realized that it is an opportunity for me to do more soul searching and see what other things I might enjoy doing. what other ways can I be of service and use my music? I relate to things you were saying about changes not long ago. I am not afraid of change and I don't have to rush to fill the space. I will keep a look out and listen for the whispers of hints of what is coming next.

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and Yoon!

    ReplyDelete